How to do Modern, Grown Up Boho

The Bohemian movement started in Paris in the 1800’s but the style of dress was mostly popularised in the 1960s & 70s.

‘Boho’ tends to refer to people with an artistic vibe and wandering spirit.

From my teenage years as a rocker, to now where I like the latest trends mixed with a bit of a Rock ‘n’ Roll or Boho edge, I’ve always been a lover of that look – hence the name of my blog?! – but how I incorporate the aesthetic into my wardrobe has changed quite a bit and is much more refined nowadays….

Photo credits: Pinterest, Mary Katrantzou, Pinterest

With the popularity of festivals, Boho fashion is around even more so …. which is great – but I think if you’re not careful you can look a little overdone or cheap/fancy dress-like!

So with summer approaching (please?!) I thought it would be good to share some ideas on how to incorporate a bit of Boho into your look, whilst remaining modern and chic!

I think the easiest way is with your accessories and the key is:

1. quality & 2. not overdoing it!

So I’ve styled some accessories of my own and added lots of shopping links for similar pieces too:

Fringed & Embellished Bags:

My Studded Fringe Bag – reduced!

Suede Fringed Bag

My Black Suede Boots

Embroidered Sandals

My Red Western Boots

Western Cut Out Boots

Dune Cowboy Boots

Fringed Boots

If you prefer to stick to plainer accessories, the other way to incorporate some Boho is obviously with your clothes – floaty, whimsical pieces or lace, beading and fringing details are perfect for that romantic vibe:

My Beaded Fringe Top

Moroccan Clutch

(Moroccan Wedding Blanket)

Maxi Dress

Bikini

Sheer Maxi

So that’s it for my boho inspiration, whether you like full on gypsy or the odd modern piece, I hope you liked my picks!

I’m constantly adding to my jewellery as I’m such a magpie and can’t resist a bit of colour or sparkle!

I have a small online jewellery shop, Wild Sunday Rose, so some of my jewellery is linked to that as I often wear my own pieces….My handbag fetish is a whole other thing entirely and I could have written a whole blog just about them – but the shopping research for that would be very dangerous! 😉

Photo credits: Instagram, Pinterest, Pinterest

Next time I’ll be sharing some interiors pics from our Spanish villa 🙂

19 Comments

1. May 28, 2017 / 6:32 pm

That scarf is so beautiful!! Scarves are such a great way to accessorize.

2. May 29, 2017 / 1:23 am

I love the pendant necklaces! Agh gorgeous. I don’t have the nerve for the fringe, but I love the jewelry – pieces like that are fantastic!

3. May 29, 2017 / 2:09 am

I love all of these pieces! The boho look is definitely one of my favorites. Although I don’t usually wear all boho, I like to mix in a few pieces every once in awhile 😉 Love your collection!

4. May 29, 2017 / 9:07 am

I’m all about boho! Especially love that corset belt 😍

5. May 29, 2017 / 10:35 pm

Love, love, love the blue studded bag, the red suede boots and ALL the necklaces and rings. Super cute. I love the boho look, it’s so cute. Great post with lots of inspirational looks!

• June 2, 2017 / 10:46 am

Thank you! I have such handbag a possession it’s been very difficult not to buy that blue studded one – research for blogs can be expensive can’t it?!

6. sheri
    May 30, 2017 / 2:56 am

Love these tips. layering jewelry is one of my favorite things.

7. May 31, 2017 / 6:17 pm

I love this, what a great read! I’ve been busy styling my garden with a boho theme, so now I need to put all your ideas into action too!

• June 2, 2017 / 10:44 am

haha summer is perfect for a bit of boho!!

8. May 31, 2017 / 6:32 pm

I love the boho look and ethos, I’m a creative spirit at heart. Great style choices, I’m in love with those floral boots!

9. May 31, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Statement shoes are my life.
    I need to get into some others of these! I keep seeing pom pom bags and clutches and I need one!

• June 2, 2017 / 10:43 am

Yes pom-poms and tassels are everywhere at the moment aren’t they! 🙂

10. May 31, 2017 / 7:24 pm

Tiffany, I love your posts! They help me see out of the fashion box! I love to incorporate boho into my outfit and you just helped tremendously. Thank you. I love the rings and the bags!

• June 2, 2017 / 10:42 am

Thank you Kim! I have such a jewellery and bag obsession! 😉

11. May 31, 2017 / 8:56 pm

I am a huge fan of statement jewelry and love the pieces that you laid out in this blog. And rings, while I absolutely love them I never end up buying any for some reason. Necklaces, however, I am all over.

12. June 1, 2017 / 9:11 am

I love ALL of these!!! Need to incorporate a few more of these styles into my wardrobe. The one I’ve been true to for years is stacking jewellery, love it! xx

13. June 2, 2017 / 6:39 am

I’ve passed on the details of your blog to my friend, she will absolutely love this!

14. June 6, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Had no idea boho is such an old concept, I guess hippies are to blame for that. Or simply me being an idiot who thinks it all started in late 60s! Anyway, lovely pictures, although my everyday looks are usually sharper and less romantic, I absolutely adore the chokers and those cowboy sandal boots- very cool indeed! Would actually love to get those for myself! Xx