3-Step, Simple Wall Terrarium DIY!

I’ve been gradually adding to the plants in our house and whilst I was looking online for inspiration, I came across some lovely wall mounted, terrarium glass globes that one of the beauty girls I follow on YouTube had put on the wall above her desk.

She’s based in Portland, Oregon and I really love the whole interior style that is typical of that area – she had 7 of the globes randomly arranged on her wall with different trailing plants hanging out of them and had bought the terrariums from a local boutique, so I started searching online to try to find something similar.

The globes are a specific style that are flat on one side so they sit flush to the wall and I did come across one seller who had some on etsy, but they were £35 each and I wanted 3 of them!

So I turned to eBay – £5.85 later I had 3 glass globes on their way to me from China. I’ll admit I was sceptical, I thought they would turn up broken or just generally crap, but they were perfect!

I’d also been looking at ‘air plants’ at our local garden centre and they are funny little things… to me they look like people! There seems to be two or three main different types, most of which are small and spikey, and I liked the idea of not having to worry about buying soil and trying to get it into the globes, which only have a small opening at the top – so they seemed to be the perfect option for my project …

Its a super easy DIY to do, I’m really chuffed with how they turned out and they were so quick and simple to do!

I ended up getting all of the ‘ingredients’ (apart from some pebbles) on eBay and the total cost for all 3 globes was just £16.50.

Air plants are really easy to look after, they basically just need a bit of water squirting on them once a week….but when you first ‘plant’ them you are recommended to soak them in some water for 4 hours, then let them completely dry for 4 hours…. and then they are ready to go!

Meet:

Tillandsia Ionantha Rubra

Tillandsia Ionantha Scaposa

Tillandsia Ionantha Guatamala!

Just 3 steps to assemble the terrariums:

1.Arrange your pebbles – warning, don’t get blasé and just drop one through the hole at the top of the terrarium, the bottom of the glass will crack (yes I found out the hard way, currently waiting for my replacement one to arrive from China!) …. place them in to the bottom gently 😉

2. Pop a bit of moss on top of the pebbles.

3. Lower your air plant inside the globe…. don’t worry about ‘squashing’ them through the hole, just do it gently, they will spring back when inside!

You can put whatever you like inside the globes to decorate them, air plants like rocks or pebbles to ‘cling’ to and putting a little bit of moss inside helps to keep their environment moist….

Then just bang some flat-head nails into the wall and hang your new plant babies!

The air plants will live happily in most environments. but they do particularly like moist air so I ended up putting them in our bathroom.

Where to Buy:

Globes – 10 cm glass globes from here

Plants/Moss  – Set of 3 different air plants with free moss (which helps keep their environment moist) here

Pebbles – I got a jar of nice chunky, smooth pebbles from a local garden centre which were in a sale bin for 99p! They were a mixture of three different colours so I thought it would look cute to separate them and do a different colour in each terrarium. You could also use tiny gravel like pebbles instead, the sort that you buy for an aquarium works really well.

You can find out loads of information on how to care for air plants here

Aren’t they cute? I’m really pleased with how they turned out – I think perhaps they each need a name, what shall I call them?

16 Comments

1. August 6, 2017 / 3:21 pm

I love these! Now I’m inspired – I like having plants inside but I’m terrible at keeping them alive. But this looks doable!!

• August 6, 2017 / 3:26 pm

I hear you! I’ve lost count the number of plant casualties I’ve had over the last couple of years, but these really are super easy to keep alive!

2. August 7, 2017 / 1:46 am

I’ve seen these in so many cute home decor shops recently but they’re always SO expensive! I didn’t even think of making them myself. Might have to give this a go, thanks, Tiffany! 🙂

3. August 7, 2017 / 5:22 am

These are so cool! What an awesome DIY 😀 Maybe I should try air plants, they seem like a lot less maintenance! 🙂

4. August 8, 2017 / 6:23 pm

Such an awesome post and the diy is so interesting. I have not heard of air plants before but they do look so pretty and would be perfect on a table top.

5. Ashley grimes
    August 8, 2017 / 6:38 pm

Uumm I am definetly doing this! Thank you for the post!

6. August 9, 2017 / 6:46 pm

I absolutely LOVE this idea. You are so creative and thrifty. Tiffany, well done!

7. August 9, 2017 / 11:02 pm

These are beyond cool! I live in an apartment and was moaning about the lack of greenery in here to my mum on Sunday. Even better, I don’t know of anyone with them – I’ll send you photos when I’m done!

• August 10, 2017 / 4:25 pm

Fantastic! I think it makes such a difference to have a few plant people around 😉 …. definitely send me pics!

8. August 10, 2017 / 5:13 pm

I love plants, It’s usually harder to grow them indoors in Ireland but I have couple of easy to maintain any corner I can in the house 🙂

9. August 11, 2017 / 4:14 pm

Tiffany, you are always reading my mind. We have a new store here that offers building/making these! I just said I need one for my counter, that is stunning and simple. More plant oxygen! Love this!
    BTW, you amaze me!

• August 12, 2017 / 11:34 am

aaah thank you that is so kind thank you Kim! They are so easy to look after as well, hope you find something pretty for your home 🙂

10. August 11, 2017 / 9:22 pm

They look beautiful, well done! I love air plants and that’s a really nice way of displaying them, in their own little bubbles.

11. August 11, 2017 / 11:08 pm

Wow this is such a great DIY project! I need to try this, I don’t have plants at all at home haha

12. August 13, 2017 / 6:13 pm

Oh wow they look super adorable, I had no idea you made these from scratch! I wonder how long for the plants can be kept in those cute little bubbles before growing out of them x

• August 13, 2017 / 7:51 pm

The good thing with these little plant people is they don’t really grow so they will just stay as they are in there! You just have to spray them with a bit of water once a week and you can see they perk up! 🖤