I’m sitting here at my desk writing this blog with candles burning all around the room … I’ve had a very long and healthy obsession with them – and the main reason is because I find the light they create extremely calming and soothing.
I find this boosts my creativity somehow and can remember even when I was probably as young as 15, when I was painting for school art projects, I used to sit on my bedroom floor surrounded by paints and on my window sills I would burn those tall, thin candles that are made especially to melt and drip down bottles, do you know the ones I mean?!
Anyway it’s part of my regular, evening routine to switch the bedroom lights off and burn some candles as I wind down to go to sleep… and in the winter months that starts earlier, lighting scented candles around the lounge as the daylight starts to disappear.
I’m abroad at the moment and have candles and lanterns everywhere both inside and out….
Having said all that, I’m quite fussy about what candles I burn – obviously fragrance is a very personal thing and there are some popular candle brands that have a huge array of scents, but I find them a little overpowering and others I think you can hardly smell at all and are therefore overrated or overpriced.
I recently came across a brand called Soy & Joy who make hand poured soy candles and they kindly sent me a couple to review, along with some melts to put in a burner.
The glass candles all light cream in colour so look very chic… but they also have sassy slogans on them … and a charm hidden inside!
The first candle I was sent is the ‘Dream Slayer’ which has a Mimosa and Mandarin scent:
- The words which come to mind when I smell this one are delicious, sweet and refreshing.
- It’s the kind of smell I think would be nice in a bathroom or kitchen because there is a sweet and zesty orange top note to it.
- It’s also quite uplifting, so if you want to be stimulated rather than chilled out this would be a good choice.
The other candle I was sent is the ‘Beyonce’ which has a Dark Amber scent:
- Oh my God this one, I couldn’t stop sniffing it – it smells like a sexy man!
- I don’t know what the smell reminds me of, but there is definitely something – I think it must be a certain aftershave.
- The words which come to mind when I’m incessantly sniffing it (well, ones that I can publish here) are heady, woody and intense.
- It’s really delicious, earthy and warm – perfect for cosy Autumn and Winter nights.
- When you burn the candles there is a nice level of scent, which you can smell lightly throughout the room, but without it being overpowering – so I think the brand have got the balance just right. (They have 8% fragrance oil in 200g of soy wax).
- The burn time of them seems really good too, I have lit each of them twice, for three hours each time and there is only just under a centimetre of wax that has gone.
Candle care tips further down…
They come in a black and white box with Soy & Joy ribbon around it and inside the candle is wrapped in branded tissue paper:
You also get sent a couple of inspirational quote postcards and one with tips about how to use their products, which I think is a nice touch.
- The glass quote candles sell for £12 each and there are lots of different quotes to choose from.
- Each quote is available in four different scents – Coconut and Mango, Dark Amber, Mediterranean Fig or Mimosa and Mandarin.
There’s also a slightly larger, luxury candle with a metal lid which has 4 different scents to choose from, £22.
Check out the full range on their website , enter HELLO10 for discount …. no commission to me, offer purely for you 😉
The mini heart melts are brilliant for when you don’t want to have to burn something for hours at a time and you can just re-light the burner for half an hour or so whenever you fancy. They have a more delicate, light scent so would also be good for a smaller room.
The heart melts have 7 different fragrances and they come in packs of 25 – it’s recommended you have four or five in your burner at a time and they are only £4 which I think is a bargain!
So overall I’m pretty impressed with this brand:
- I think their packaging is very good quality.
- The style of candles is modern and unique.
- I love the smell of the ones I was sent and the sound of the other scents available.
- They are made with good quality wax so the burn time is great.
- Their overall style is nice and neutral so will work with any decor – making them perfect to be to given as a gift.
I don’t know what else you would want in a candle, other than perhaps there being some larger ones available?
Check out their full range on their website , enter HELLO10 for discount!
Candle Care Tips & Other Brands….
- The first and most important one is to make sure that when you very first light it, do so when you’ve got time to let the candle melt all the way across the top – which can take 3/4 hours for some of them, obviously depending on their size. This stops that horrible tunnel situation where it burns down, but you end up wasting a load of wax around the sides that never melts!
- Keep the wick relatively short, literally around 3mm, as this stops that horrible black smoke that can burn if you let it get too long.
- Also, with the Soy & Joy ones, they recommend not actually burning them any longer than the 3 hours, because if you burn it any longer, the oils can begin to burn themselves apparently… which I’d never heard of before.
Other Candle Brands I Love:
The Body Shop do very nice candles with usual scents.
The White Company do some amazing large candles, especially their Winter Scent range – but they are pretty pricey so I only head in there to dream at Christmas!
Colony candles are one of my all-time favourites! I always buy their candles at Christmas time, they do a Vanilla and Cranberry scent which is absolutely divine.
.… and I suppose I couldn’t write a candle blog without mentioning Jo Malone, although I’ll be honest, you won’t ever get me paying that much for candle!!
…. but if I was going to splash out on a much more expensive candle, it would probably be one of the Diptiques!
So, I’m sitting at my desk writing this with the Dark Amber ‘Beyonce’ candle burning beside me and listening to the palm trees swishing outside …. time for a swift shot of Jack Daniels to end the evening then it’s off to bed for me!
Hope you are all having a lovely weekend!
PS. Little visual treat at the bottom Ladies – you’re welcome 😉
Do you follow me on Pinterest?:
Products gifted for review purposes. Views my own.