I spend a few months of the year away from the UK and I’ve travelled pretty extensively over the years – I once made the sudden decision to go on a round the world trip, and pretty much planned it, in my lunch break! I wrote about that here … and in the post I mentioned how I think that if you’re a relatively creative or adventurous person, it’s pretty natural to want to travel because there’s just so much beauty out there to see…
So to accompany a bit of a photo diary of what I’ve been up to over the last couple of weeks whilst abroad…. and some pics of my ‘hand luggage only holiday wardrobe’ I posted about the other week here in action, I thought I’d talk about the reasons why I love travelling so much!
(As usual, click the links or pics to shop)
- I’m naturally curious – I constantly like to learn new things, so I find experiencing other cultures expands your knowledge so much…I love finding out silly little things, like how and why their festivals are celebrated, what traditional dress they have, why local foods are eaten and the history behind the recipes.
… oh and of course there’s local wines too which must be extensively sampled for research purposes 😉
Local Vineyard in La Geria
… local wine that is then taken home to enjoy 😉
Pre-dinner party pics
Black Maxi Dress
Photos that were taken in blinding sun and gale force winds… see that Buddha behind me?
…. he’s praying I get at least a couple of pictures without my dress over my face or garden chairs flying past as they hurl down the garden.
Nope, there’s no pics where I’m not squinting weird faces in the sun… the solution?
Yep, that local wine again…
It was so bloody windy, even my choker spun around my neck
- I get bored easily – I really do! … and working in a creative field, I find a change of scenery really fuels and inspires that part of me. It’s not even necessarily about being away from home or in a warm climate, I think it’s more that when I’m spending a lot of time outside, I find it very I suppose ‘nourishing’ would be the word, it inspires me and gets my creative brain going!
While I’m away I’m not actually on holiday the whole time and have actually had a ton of work to do, but it’s definitely nicer working in the sunshine and hopping on my lounger in between sessions at the computer!
My Villa Desk Set Up…
Bardot tunic dress
- It’s fun! – it’s as simple as that. Travelling is fun and for so many reasons – whether it be meeting new people, having new experiences, seeing new countries … like breaking down in the middle of nowhere and having to hitch a ride back to town sitting in the back of a truck full of children and pigs or being bitten by a Barracuda(!) … so many unexpected things have happened when I’ve been travelling and if you’re prepared to just go with the flow and work with what happens, it’s a never-ending supply of entertainment and adventure!
Pool Party Ready…
Clutch from Accessorize
- I love photography – there’s a reason why so many professional photographers travel extensively, obviously it provides a never-ending supply of beautiful landscapes, people and cultural stuff to shoot.
I am by no means at the level of even considering myself good enough to ever be a professional, but it’s a hobby I’ve been passionate about for a long time and I just love capturing the changing skies and landscapes of different places.
- I love animals – and yes I have on a number of occasions booked to go to the other side of the world just to see particular ones. (Such as Orangutans, Humpback Whales, Elephants and a rare breed of miniature Penguin). Living in the UK just doesn’t give you the opportunity to see more exotic wildlife in their natural habitat – I’m not interested in seeing them behind bars thanks – so if I’ve got to fly for a day or so to see some I will.
Honestly if I won the lottery. I think I would just head off with the aim of seeing as many different animals around the world as possible!
No majorly exotic animals to find this time, but I did go on a goat seeking road trip!
Floral sun dress
… and occasionally you take something/one home with you …
- The Sea – I don’t live near any decent coastline in the UK and love spending time in, on or by the sea … so whether it’s something amazing like swimming with wild dolphins in New Zealand or watching Humpback Whales breach by our boat in Hawaii, snorkelling in the Pacific or just paddling around in a sheltered cove somewhere in Europe … anytime I’m close to the water I feel very at peace.
- New experiences – Being able to do things you would never get to do at home, like having your morning coffee underground in a cave….
- Forgetting time and dates – so much of life is about working to a calendar, doing things at a certain time on a certain date, even eating at a regular time… I love just dropping my routines when I’m travelling … waking up when my body is ready, only eating as and when I’m hungry and not having to go to places at set times – being able to just do what you particularly fancy on the day is very liberating.
Wandering around with no set agenda is so relaxing!
… and finally, I just like being barefoot and in a bikini! – anyone who really knows me, knows that if I have to wear clothes then yes I absolutely love wearing something quite glamorous … but really, I’m the happiest with wild and messy holiday hair stuck up on the top of my head, no makeup and in a half decent kaftan or bikini.
When leaving a warm climate, having to put ‘proper’ clothes on is always one of my first complaints…
Sometimes a LIGHT wind gives a nice arty shot…
So that’s it, why I love travelling – although I could have mentioned many more … Whats your favourite part of exploring the world?
Are you on Pinterest? Here’s me.